PROCESS ENGINEERING MANAGER
LOCATION: 101 COLUMBUS STREET, AUBURN, NEW YORK 13021
The Process Engineering Manager will participate and give directions to the appropriate engineers and technicians in their group to support the four major areas of responsibilities – manage new product launches establishing the process parameters through Scientific Molding practices, completing and optimizing all qualification work before releasing the molds into production. Identify and improve process performance on new and existing programs, provide technical assistance / training in support of Molding Cells.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Additional duties may be assigned)
Champion a culture of safety in the organization
- Develop and manage the identification and implementation of areas of measurable improvement in process performance. (Continuous Process Improvement) and manufacturability on identified programs.
- Through technology/automation implement the improvement of product, tooling and processes, reduce variability and increase robustness on all appropriate new and existing processes. Maintain systems for documenting and controlling process changes, maintenance requests, Engineering Changes and Corrective Actions.
- Develop and provide technical training to the Engineering and Technician groups.
Manage new product launches ensuring that new products, tooling and processes can be designed, built, managed and implemented successfully in manufacturing according to customer and CPI requirements, on schedule.
Manage technical resources to drive high efficiencies, low Cost of Quality and other measurables in day to day operations.
- Work with internal and external resources to develop, install, and qualify new automation/equipment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS STANDARDS:
- Degree in Plastics Engineering/Technology preferred, but not needed
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in injection molding with a solid knowledge of injection molding and manufacturing operations
- Previous experience/best practices implementing and using continuous improvement/lean tools to drive improvement.
- Solid understanding in mold construction, plastics processing including SIM and DOE, materials, assembly, SPC, problem solving, and computer software programs is desirable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Contribute to the overall success of the company by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely, and accurate manner.
- Promote the Quality Improvement Process.
- Computer proficiency including world processing, data entry, spreadsheets, and generating reports using standard software applications.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Direct supervision responsibility of Production Engineers including the areas of hiring and promotion recommendations; planning and performance management, and training. Indirectly involved in hiring, performance management, and disciplining decisions regarding other department employees.
Close mental and visual attention required to perform work dealing primarily with preparing and analyzing data and figures, performing accounting work, using computer terminal, and/or extensive reading.
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arms and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for
Ability to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear. Ability to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, use fingers. Ability to pull, push and lift objects. Ability to grasp and feel.
EQUIPMENT, MACHINES & SOFTWARE USED:
Ability to use general office equipment including computer, printer, copier, telephone, fax machine; and other equipment including digital camera, saws, sand blaster, surface grinder, lathe, mill machine, and various hand tools.
SAFETY, PROTECTIVE CLOTHING AND GEAR REQUIREMENTS:
Safety requirements for this position include but are not limited to eye protection when on the production floor and in the tool room. Employees must follow any additional safety requirements as posted in specific job areas.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that may be encountered while performing the essential functions of this position.
The employee is occasionally subject to noise sufficient to cause one to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level. There is also exposure to various physical hazards, oils and atmospheric conditions which may affect the respiratory system or the skin.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries and complaints from clients, regulatory agencies, or members of the general public. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to internal and external top management.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical interference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical